How to Get a Free Domain Name (Part 3)

Previous post: 如何获得一个免费域名(第二篇)
If you’ve read my previous posts, you know I’ve already written two articles on this topic (the first and second ones) (I’m guessing by now you all know what I am: a developer who doesn’t want to spend money).
Today, after searching for 4 hours, I finally found 8, and in the middle of writing, my browser crashed, so what you’re seeing has been rewritten. My next post will finish the series on free domains, and then I’ll move on to free cloud servers :slight_smile:
Here’s the PSL lookup URL:
https://publicsuffix.org/list/public_suffix_list.dat
Still, the PSL wasn’t really useful today.

  1. cloudns
    Official site: https://www.cloudns.net
    Sign up, then once you’re registered change the language to Chinese. Click the homepage, click DNS Zones, click Create Zone, click Free Zone, enter your prefix and select a suffix—that’s it. (If there are IP issues, I used Microsoft’s experimental VM and changed the password—remember to set a new password or you might get hacked.)
    In domain management, fill in the provider’s NS records (though it seems you can’t customize NS anymore, can’t add them, and it shows invalid records now).
    Then set up bidirectional resolution—check online for this step, because I didn’t get around to it.
    And that’s it!

  2. site.ac
    Official site: https://site.ac
    Register, then pick your domain suffix and prefix and register—it’s as simple as that.
    Please note, this domain isn’t in the PSL, so you can’t host it on Cloudflare.

  3. int.yt
    Official site: https://int.yt
    Register, then enter (custom).int.yt into the search box below.
    If you can register it, just click Register.
    Enter the provider’s NS records (up to four; not in the PSL), then click Register, and you’re done.

  4. dnsbee
    Official site: https://dns.qiip.cc
    Register, then on the homepage enter your prefix in the search box, pick one at random (none are in the PSL), fill in the NS and such, and it’s done.

  5. GitHub Student Pack
    Official site: none available
    If you’re a student and get the Student Pack, you can get a free domain for three years (.me, .tech, or .live each year).

  6. he.net
    Official site: https://tunnelbroker.net/
    Create a tunnel, enter your IP, choose a server—if it works, you’re good to go. Use a tool to check your ip6.arpa domain; once you check, it can be hosted anywhere.

  7. desec
    Official site: https://desec.io
    Register, and after registration enter your domain prefix, verify your email, and you’re done. (Feels like it’s related to cloudns, since their NS records also can’t be added.)

  8. duckdns
    Official site: https://www.duckdns.org/
    Register, then get your domain (some are in the PSL, some aren’t). The process is a bit of a hassle; I recommend using GitHub to sign up.

These are eight more free domain services I know about. If you know of any others, DM me or leave a comment and I’ll update the list from time to time (if you want to tell me about one, make sure at least one domain is in the PSL and truly free forever).

Next post: 如何获得一个免费域名(第四篇)

7 Likes

Great job

1 Like

It’s nothing, no need to thank me.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for organizing and sharing free domains.

So much! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

The correct website should be cloudns.

1 Like

xxfx Thanks for sharing

CLOUDNS is only ranked 17th? I’m really curious to see which good ones are ahead of it.

随便排的

写错了

cloudns can’t be used to create with a mainland China IP, and also can’t be used for hosting. However, they do allow you to host domains from other providers, which is pretty decent. The free plan lets you host DNS for one domain.

The domains created on ClouDNS cannot have their NS delegation changed.

It’s really a dealbreaker that you can’t change NS on ClouDNS—you can only use their own DNS, so it’s not convenient for playing around with things like CDNs. But hey, it’s free, and it’s enough for running some small test sites. Looking forward to your final post!

I wrote it.

Let’s wait a bit longer, there’s one more article.