A deep dive into free DNS services—experts, did I miss any?

FreeDNS – Free DNS – Dynamic DNS – Static DNS Subdomains and Domain HostingFreeDNS.si
GSLB.me – Global Server Load Balancing and DNS Services
FreeDNS::42 – Free DNS Server Sharing Service
Free dynamic DNS for IPv6
FreeDNS – Unlimited, Free, DYNDNS, DNSSEC, TLSA, etc.
Free DNS Hosting, Cloud DNS Hosting, and Domains | ClouDNS
deSEC – Free Secure DNS
YDNS
Free DNS and Dynamic DNS – DNS Hosting, Dynamic DNS, and Domain Management with Zoneedit
Remote Dynamic DNS Access – Connect to Your Devices Anytime, Anywhere
Bulk DNS Hosting – LuaDNS
Hurricane Electric Hosted DNS
Domain Resolution – Free Smart DNS Resolution Service
GeoScaling DNS2 – Free Hosted DNS, Redirect by Country/Region, City, Network Name (AS/ASN/Autonomous System Number), Uptime, and Custom Rules with Smart Subdomains
DNS Hosting FREE | HOSTRY Hosting Services
DNSExit | Dynamic DNS, SMTP Relay, DNS Failover, Email Hosting and Web Hosting

32 Likes

Not bad, very complete.

It’s pretty comprehensive now.

It seems there’s no dynv6; does DNSPOD require real-name registration to use?

Saved this—I’ve always used HE’s DNS before, looks like there are plenty of other options too.

Impressive, it’s all here.

Just want to ask, how do these compare to CF, which one is better? Why aren’t there so many DNS options in China? I’m a newbie, thanks.

If you can CF, is there even a choice? Command + Enter

xx Thanks, I don’t really understand, so I’m just asking. I don’t really know how to use CF either, I just use it by adding it to DNS, that’s all.

DNS is a fundamental service and is generally provided for free worldwide. Cloudflare (CF) offers the most comprehensive DNS features. Currently, there’s no real way to make a profit from DNS; it’s mostly an auxiliary business for domain registrars. Several domestic registrars provide free DNS services, but there’s now a trend toward charging and a downgrade in free offerings.

Additionally, due to government regulation of DNS in China, domestic providers’ DNS services are somewhat restricted and limited. As a foundational service, DNS can be extended in many ways, but ultimately it lacks a clear path to profitability, so it remains just a basic service. It’s like with domains—why is .com so dominant? The growth trajectory moved away from DNS. However, CF’s features have made people reevaluate DNS. Now Tencent is catching up, which also reflects the development trend. As for the future of CDN and DNS, I personally can’t see it clearly. These are just my own views; please feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken.

The domestic DNSPod supports adding subdomains, which feels pretty good. This way, it’s similar to those domains that have entered the PSL and are hosted on CF.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing

Favorite

Thanks for taking the time to collect all this—I’ve saved it.
Much appreciated.

Thanks for the summary! Appreciate the share—saved for future reference!

Thanks for sharing—saved it!

Learned it

https://hostry.com/products/dns/

Thanks for sharing! I’m using the free version of Alibaba Cloud DNS.

To use DNS resolution for your own domain on DNSPod’s China site, real-name verification is required. For ICP filing, there aren’t really any restrictions, since domestic registrars will urge you about it anyway.

For the international site, whether you need to bind a credit card (they charge $1 for verification), phone number verification, and real-name verification (only for overseas users) depends on the account’s risk level. But I use the China site :smile: